Government Contracting Business Associate
We are seeking a highly motivated candidate to join our growing firm as a Government Contracting Business Associate. The ideal candidate will have excellent written and oral communication skills and will be exceptionally organized, persistent, and collaborative.
This is a dynamic role that spans sales, operations, administrative, and client services responsibilities and functions within a growing research and consulting enterprise. This role reports to the Executive Director of Government Contracting. National Journal Research’s revenue team offers ample opportunities for mentorship and development.
National Journal is a premier research and insights company committed to helping organizations effectively navigate Washington. Best known as one of Washington’s most trusted media brands for nearly 50 years, our expertise is unmatched with teams of specialists dedicated to government affairs, communications, and political research, in addition to exceptional journalism. Our mission is to equip the thousands of government and business leaders in the nation’s capital with the intelligence, insights, and connections they need to save time, increase efficiency, and deliver success.
What is the National Journal Research Revenue Team?
The National Journal Research Revenue team is looking for a talented candidate as we are building out our team to support our growing government contracting business. We are dedicated to equipping leaders with high quality work and excellent customer service.
This candidate will be working closely with The Network Science Initiative (NSI) team, the custom research division within National Journal specializing in stakeholder mapping for corporations and associations. NSI serves some of the largest U.S. federal defense and civilian contractors, providing deep people and market intelligence research to navigate large procurement opportunities and position within new and emerging government markets.
Your responsibilities will include:
● Lead outreach to a large territory of government contractors, including established organizations as well as emerging contractors across tech, healthcare, and other markets.
● Regularly track market trends to identify opportunities to engage with prospective clients and build NSI’s position as a thought leader within the government contracting market.
● Arrange introductory meetings between NJR’s senior leaders and executives at prospective client organizations.
● Represent the Executive Director and the National Journal brand with external parties via email communication, phone calls, and in-person engagements.
● Work closely with internal teams to understand client needs and construct creative solutions to address client challenges.
● Support clients across the revenue cycle as they understand how our solutions address their specific needs.
● Build and manage a pipeline of qualified accounts.
● Keep accurate logs of account details, activities, and contact information using a CRM platform (Salesforce).
● Coordinate knowledge management by maintaining databases and shared drives.
● Perform administrative support for the Executive Director and provide operations support for the revenue team.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
● Strong work ethic driven by intellectual curiosity, persistence, and tenacity
● Excellent written and oral communicator
● Creative thinking and resourcefulness in problem-solving
● A self-starter, eager to deliver external and internal customer service
● Strategic thinker with a track record of finding creative solutions to improve workplace processes and systems
● High-level organization and time management skills with the ability to be proactive, effectively prioritize tasks, and efficiently respond to urgent requests
● Awareness of and interest in the government contracting landscape (defense or civilian) a plus
● Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university
● A full course of the COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment at National Journal
● Active contributor to a diverse and inclusive workplace
Employment Type: Full-time
Compensation: The salary range for this role is $48,000-$55,000 + commission
Location: This job is based in Washington, DC. National Journal operates on a hybrid basis, with employees required to be in the office every Tuesday and Thursday.
Across National Journal Group, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions –
Force of Ideas: At the center of National Journal Group work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequences. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
Spirit of Generosity: National Journal Group seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. National Journal Group writing should be cut from the same cloth –critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
National Journal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against our applicants because of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.